Monday, September 16, 2013

So Long and Thanks for all the Fish! The End of my Tenure as Poet Laureate and my Last Redmond Reading

Yes, I thought it was appropriate, coming at the end of my tenure as Poet Laureate, to leave you with a quote from "The Hitchhiker Guide to the Galaxy," since the theme of my work here was "geeks for poety, poetry for geeks." I had a great time and have been honored to work with the Redmond community. (PS: You can read an essay account of my first year as Poet Laureate in the new Poet's Market 2014, which just came out.) I think the highlights of the last year and a half include working with local artists at VALA, working with teens and the chance to talk poetry with our mayor!

I'll still be Poet Laureate through the end of September, and I'll be reading as part of the Jack Straw Reading for RASP at the Old Redmond Schoolhouse on September 27 at 7 PM (along with fellow Jack Straw writers Chelsea Werner-Jatzke and Daemond Arrindell) so come out and see us! It seems like a nice way to end my time as Poet Laureate of Redmond. And don't worry - I'll still be around...performing at VALA as part of ArtsCrush with Kelly Davio and artist Michaela Eaves on October 9 from 6-9 PM (Poetry and Visual Art just seem to go together, don't they?) and speaking at Geek Girl Con (Oct 19-20, downtown Seattle) on some of my work in Redmond.

The announcement of the next Poet Laureate of Redmond is coming soon. Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment