Sunday, October 7, 2012

A Big Thank You to Everyone Who Came Out for the Poet Laureate Inaugural Reading!

A wanted to give a big shout-out of thanks to everyone who came out for yesterday's Redmond Poet Laureate Inaugural Reading and the folks who helped make it possible, including the City of Redmond, SecondStory Repertory, and a lot of supportive friends who helped out at the reading. The audience was wonderful, asked lots of intelligent questions, and seems really excited about the "Geeks for Poetry, Poetry for Geeks" theme. So it bodes well for the next couple of years!
If you would like a "things I have learned" rundown from the event, check out my post at my personal regular blog, "What I Learned from the Poet Laureate Inaugural Reading Event:"
http://myblog.webbish6.com/2012/10/things-i-learned-from-my-first-big.html

One thing I really liked that we got to fulfil my dream of bringing different kinds of art together - visual art, theater arts, and poetry. The audience was full of intelligent kids who were interested in writing and learning more about poetry, which was really encouraging, and several young adults who wanted to know more about poetry and publishing and technology and all that good stuff. But they also wanted to sign up for acting classes and buy art and I thought: this is the way Redmond might actually grow an "arts scene."

No comments:

Post a Comment